Faith In Everyday Parenting
“Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord our God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.”
-Deuteronomy 6:4-7 (NASB)
Today Pastor Brian continued our Movement series with “Faith in our everyday parenting.” We must draw from both the biblical model for parenting and practical experience to inform the way forward. We learned that there are two keys that are critical for parents to live out in order to follow God's biblical design for parenting.
Two Keys to Biblical Parenting:
- Parents are to live out and pass on their faith in their home.
- Parents are to provide a parent-directed home not a kid-directed home.
- What is the biblical blueprint for parenting?
- Parents passing on their faith in the home is critical to making disciples of the next generation. How are you intentionally passing on your faith to the children that you influence?
- Parents must care enough to guide their kids to develop Christian character. How is that different from just meeting the desires of the child in the moment?
- What does Joshua 1:8 (As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord) look like practically in your home?
Pray together as a family. Ask God to show you where your own faith needs to be more authentic. Confess your need to make your family and home a priority in your daily schedule. Commit to be a home based on God’s blueprint.
PARENTS: Today’s message underscores the responsibility that parents have to guide their children in authentic faith development. This Saturday at the Parent Summit you have the opportunity to become equipped to fulfill that responsibility. TODAY IS THE DEADLINE to register at oldsite.vvchurch.org/parentsummit to attend to learn more about how to be the primary faith trainer in your home. No matter what stage your kids are in you have the opportunity to get in on what God has for you.